DCBS staff may travel out of state if authorized to transport children to and from placements. DCBS will pay all transportation costs related to the out of state placement of a DBCS child. This includes travel costs related to the child returning to Kentucky for visits with parents and/or siblings as well as travel costs for the SSW to visit a Kentucky child placed out of state through the ICPC program.
Prior approval is to be obtained for all interstate travel including:
- Placement of children;
- Retrieval of children; and
- Case related out of state travel for children.
Travel arrangements must be made ahead of time in order to qualify for the lowest airfare rates possible.
DCBS will not pay any transportation cost associated with:
- The ICPC placement of a child from another state being placed in Kentucky;
- Private interstate adoptions; or
- International adoptions.
For DCBS children, DCBS will pay for the return of the child to the state of Kentucky should the placement fail or no longer be in the child’s best interest.
- Upon approval by the SRA or designee, submits the request for travel to the ICPC office;
- Contacts the interstate compact administrator for assistance, by email or telephone at (502) 564-2147 for all interstate related out of state travel questions;
- Submits the CHFS-005 Request for Authorization for Out of State Travel form to the interstate compact administrator, by faxing the completed form to (502) 564-5995 prior to submitting any out of state travel expenses; 1
- Submits all out of state travel expenses on a separate standard travel vouchers along with a copy of the approved CHFS-005 and receipts, regardless of the amount (even if the amount is under $10.00) to the Travel Branch for reimbursement;
- Follows standard travel regulations which can be found on the travel website:
The interstate compact administrator:
- Sends via email, information regarding how to make flight arrangements, should the travel involve air travel;
- Faxes or e-mails the approved CHFS-005 to the SSW, upon approval from the Commissioner or designee, authorizing reimbursement of the out of state travel expenses.
- The SSW will be issued electronic tickets for all interstate related out of state travel flights.
- The electronic airline tickets are direct billed to the interstate office only.
- All other travel expenses incurred are paid by the SSW and are reimbursed.