A child from another state apprehended in Kentucky, as a runaway must be returned to their home state through the Interstate Compact on Juveniles (ICJ). Likewise, the same procedure is applied for children from Kentucky who have fled to another state. The Justice Cabinet, Department of Juvenile Justice, is responsible for administering ICJ procedures.
- Notifies the Interstate Compact on Juveniles office at 502-573-2738 within twenty-four (24) hours, exclusive of weekends and holidays, in the event that a child from another state is picked up as a runaway;
- Refers the report to the Interstate Compact on Juveniles office if notification is received that a runaway child from Kentucky has been picked up in another state.
- The SSW may assist the court with locating a non-secure placement for the child until the home state is able to arrange return of the child.
- Issues related to reimbursement for placement are referred to the ICJ office.
- An extradition hearing is held in juvenile court before a child is returned to the child’s home state.